Fur Affinity or stylized as FurAffinity is the largest fandom online that entertains and caters to the ‘furry fandom’ by promoting art, music, stories and so on that are relatable to the fandom. It is also considered to be the number one online community for these furry fanatics. Created in 2005 by Alkora aka, Jheryn Lightfoot and Byakko Wolf, to compete with many such similar fandoms like SheezyArt and deviantART. The distinguishing factor about FurAffinity is that it allows artistic freedom of expression to all its users without taking into consideration the content ratings and so on. Dragoneer is an artist that is extremely famous in the furry fandom and he is the one that also leads Fur Affinity.
The furry fandom was always present but it wasn’t always as prevalent as it is these days. These furry fanatics usually used to meet up at Science Fiction or fantasy conventions or even comics conventions before they started their own exclusive furry parties and furry conventions. Steve Gallacci in the year 1980 truly started the smoke for the furry fandom when he started a discussion based on anthropomorphic characters in his novel Albedo. Soon enough it caught up to other science fiction novels as well and from there began the discussions and small conventions based on these Furry things. With the advent of the internet and its spread, the furry fandom grew and so did their fanatism. Today, the internet still remains the hot favorite platform for all the furry fans to gather and work together and share their ideas and creations. Soon enough because of this, the furry fandom grew in size and became more accessible to interested people and gained popularity. When the furry fandom first started off on the web, the popular websites that catered to them and others interested were FurryMUCK which was a virtual environment. It was initially referred to as Mucks. And FurryMUCK is the most well-known and the oldest MUCK available even today.
The Furry Fandom | Furaffinity
Furry Fandom or Furrydom or even fur fandom are fans from around the globe who come together to create literature, art, and entertainment that is related to the Furry Genre. These people or these fans together are referred to as the Furry Fandom. So basically the fandom of the fur consists of several artists, writers, even role players and the typical interest fans of the furry world. All these different people of the fur world usually meet up at conventions or on websites such as FurAffinity to share their art and ideas. Some of the hardcore furry fans have gathered together right in the beginning and started creating platforms for similarly interested fans to join in and entertain themselves. These websites they deem as virtual societies and together they are known as the collective furry community. It took a while for these communities to finally operate because there were so many fans, especially those who didn’t have access to the internet to finally know that there were many people out there with similar interests as them.
These Furry Fans or the Furry Fandom are also referred to as furfans, furries, or furs and they have a great interest in fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with integrated human parts and characteristics or even personalities.
FurAffinity is one of the largest virtual environments for these fans to gather and work in. The website has lots of fanart, fanfictions, fan music related to the fur genre.
What’s on Furaffinity.net?
Like mentioned earlier FurAffinity is the largest and the number one fandom platform that gathers all the furfans together so that they can share their furry art, their furry stories and also their furry music! Fur Affinity caters to those who have an account on their website if they want to share, post or submit files in it. Also, for a normal viewer, certain files are not visible so they have to create an account to do the same. It is a simple procedure to create an account or to register to FurAffinity. But a user must be at least 13 years of age and there will be certain restrictions as to what kind of content can be posted by a user on the server or Fur Affinity and hence all users must read the terms and conditions and agree to them.
- The user should post his or her desired username (it can be anything)
- Then the user has to enter his or her email ID.
- Then the user has to confirm his or her email ID.
- Then the user has to do a small word verification to confirm he or she is a human and not a robot.
- Then accept the terms and conditions and proceed.
Surprisingly the fur affinity account doesn’t ask a user to actually enter a password. That’s a start considering passwords are like the individual keys to accounts that are the locks. The user will then get a confirmation on the mail where he or she will have to verify their account and finally log in.
After registering an account on Fur Affinity, the user must agree to abide by all the guidelines displayed on the website and follow their rules, including the Code of Conduct and Acceptable Policy that talks about the uploading process. By registering an account, making use of, or accessing Fur Affinity’s services, a user must agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement and not falter by doing so otherwise, things like taking down the account may happen. Any user who does not agree to their set up rules and regulations and terms and conditions will no longer be able to have access to Fur Affinity’s services.
Any loss of data or information of a user on FurAffinity is not the responsibility of the site and hence they time and again urge all their users and furries to be very careful by securing their content. There will be instances where their content will be put up on other websites and platform without their (the owner’s) permission and for this, Fur Affinity will and should not be held responsible. In some cases, due to certain factors, a user’s account will be terminated, eliminated or removed from the server. If he or she wants to create another account then it must be within Fur Affinity’s restrictions and permissions.
All furries on FurAffinity are supposed to and must follow an orderly conduct and if not they will be in big trouble, sometimes as much as doing a cyber crime without knowing. And hence, they urge all their users to go through their code of conduct before they take any drastic steps and spoil their furry entertainment on Fur Affinity. There are the following codes they have to follow while on Fur Affinity.
- The users are not supposed to encourage or participate in illegal activity on furaffinity.net. They can not do drug abuse, piracy or even copyright infringement. So basically illegal activity is not allowed and the users are supposed to know about the laws of America before they do something like that on fur affinity.
- Posting other user’s content without his or her content is a punishable offense and it is not allowed by the terms of Fur Affinity at all. They believe that since personal information has social security numbers, users should not share any content without the owner’s consent accordingly with furaffinity.
- A user should not threaten anyone, including the administrative staff of Fur Affinity. Fur Affinity takes severe actions against those who try to assault others on their website and they usually tend to terminate their furaffinity accounts.
- Fur Affinity is very against stalking and such other wrong doings. If a person is seen stalking others on their website then he or she will be taken action against. Such an act is also considered harassment and they should be sure that the recipient of their attention is willing to make friends before sending requests and so on to their accounts.
- A user should not, whatsoever, be disrespectful towards an administrative staff on the website. This will also have serious repercussions. A furaffinity user should not unnecessarily harass, or even insult a staff member or argue with him or her. A user should not interfere in their duties since they are only doing their job. A user must not disrespect the site policy either.
- A fur affinity user should not also harras another user who holds an account on the website. They are all requested to be civil with each other and they must discuss on topics civilly and not conduct unwanted arguments or such acts that will cause trouble within the forum.
- If a user tends to use wrong or malicious speech then it is really not entertained by Fur Affinity. Using bigotry or disparaging remarks or comment on race, creed, ethnic, origin, religion, disability, gender or even age is punishable everywhere and so it is even on Fur Affinity. Although this rule does not apply to fictional works.
- A user should be careful about what he or she is posting. There is an age restriction for a reason, but still, Furaffinity does not entertain R rated or NSFW content on their website. A user, can, however, start discussions about adult themes in the forum, however even this must be done within the code of conduct.
- A user should not, whatsoever, spam another person’s content or a discussion thread. This is very irritating and a person will tend to lose the stream of the discussion. And hence, users are requested strongly by Fur Affinity, not to spam.